I keep a box of brownie mix in the pantry almost all the time. It is an easy last minute dessert to have on hand. All by itself a pan of brownies is delicious. But why not take a great dessert and bump it up a notch?
Ideas for Making a Batch of Brownies Spectacular
- Heat 3/4 cup of peanut butter in the microwave for around 20 seconds. Add the heated peanut butter into the middle of the mix. Take a toothpick or a knife and drag it through the peanut butter to create a marbled effect. Cook as directed by the package.
- Our family favorite (which we did an instagram story about) is to put candy into the batter. We tried Heath bar for the first time and had mixed reviews about it. Our go-to is Ghiradelli caramel chocolates. We have also used the mint flavored ones from the same company and loved them as well. I like to divide the batter on this recipe. Pour in half, put the candy in, then pour in the remaining batter.
- Top the brownies with buttercream icing. If you are a chocolate lover you could use chocolate icing as well. If you are feeding kiddos they would be thrilled to see some sprinkles on that icing!
- Lately a big hit has been to buy cookie dough and break it into bits. Take the cookie dough pieces and mix them into the brownie mix.
- Toppings are a great addition. Pour caramel over the top of the hot brownie and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Don't forget that butterscotch, peanut butter and dark chocolate, and white chocolate chips are all available and would make a batch of brownies melt in your mouth...and your hands.
- My mother-in-love adds coffee creamer to her brownies. This could be added to the mix or the icing. Adding 2 tablespoons of a hazelnut (or your favorite flavor) to the icing would put a pep in the step of a basic brownie.
- Peppermint or vanilla extract is transformational. Add 1 T of them when mixing the brownies. If you go the peppermint route you can get the soft bits of peppermint and add them to the mix as well.
- If you want to get a little nutty you could add 1/2 a cup of walnut pieces into the mix...and sprinkle the top with nuts as well. You could also take almonds and make a cute design like the picture above!